The lost relation to mother earth in modern civilization
- Why Oedipus was so incredibly misunderstood for more than two millennial ? Because it is the story of a rebirth which implies a symbolic return into "Mother Earth", represented in the myth by Jocasta.
- Modern culture dramatized this rebirth. Unable to grasp it in it's traditional and symbolic level, rational conscious takes the story as real, and thus dramatic.
- But the way Sophocles put it was meant to shed the light between the patriarchate politic that forbids the link to mother earth, condemned as "incestuous". Along with the cultural revolution, Sophocles observed how much those who where the children of the earth now were becoming the children of the city, citizen, separated from mother nature.
- In the ancient ritual of returning into the caves of mountain, that is into mother earth, the point is to reconnect with the true force at the origin of life. Beyond the parental biological capacity to give birth to a body, there is a need to be born as true self, thank to a more deeper connection with the sources of life, traditionally represented as divine forces.
- When we include the second play of Sophocles on Oedipus we have a global teaching. It explains why modern civilization forbids us to rebirth to our true self, and reveals what this process really is about. Learn more...