Self development and Oedipus
- Oedipus had a first life as a false self. He did not know himself and he did not know where he came from.
- The discovery of his true origins changes everything. He dies as King of Thebes (or as an ego) and goes through a deep transformation.
- That part of the myth refers to the ancient ritual of returning to Mother Earth - to be reborn. It was a necessary ritual for children to become adults.
- Finally knowing himself and being reborn as a true self, Oedipus brings the prosperity at Colonus and becomes a hero.
- So, even if one is as alienated by his transgenerational inheritance as Oedipus, there is a way of healing and transformation toward self realization.
- Read the first chapter of Oedipus Reborn